Sunday, September 19, 2010

I Got Worms

I’ve been up late the last few nights studying up on worm composting. Yeah, I know that watching YouTube videos of worms at 2 AM is more than kind of sad…it’s extremely sad. The guy working at the pizza place where I eat lunch (often) has a degree in horticulture and got me going on the idea. (That’s totally Santa Cruz- everyone has a degree in something that can’t be used, and as a result, they work 2 jobs that are totally beneath them to survive.) All my searching of articles and forums gave me a real good idea how to build a continuous flow vermicomposting bin, so I sketched out a plan. Materials and time spent constructing this thing made the “Can-O-Worms” pre-built stacking bin seem quite sensible. I live in an unincorporated area of Santa Cruz County, and residents like me are offered a bin for only $25 delivered, so it’s hard to beat it.  The same bin goes for around $125 plus shipping online.  So the bin is on it's way, now I need to score a couple pounds of worms.  My daughter is very excited about this and wants to go get them right now.  Worms go for around $20 a pound, which, oddly enough is the same price as Fillet Mignon. How weird is that? My wife was absolutely correct when she said “you don’t have the free time to be fucking around with a worm farm.” I’ll find the time.
Red Wigglers